Experience with auriculo therapy
Shri Kiran Phalke
I have been working on the auricle for quite sometime. I have some very useful tips about learning and practicing auricular therapy. I will first give examples of how different patients reacted to the treatment. There is a general fear about ear therapy that it may cause infection, which is difficult to cure. In my practice of acupuncture, I have never seen anybody contracting infection. If proper aseptic condition is observed there is no need to worry. It is sufficient to clean the ear surface with alcohol. It is also important to put a cotton swab inside the external auditory meatus. Having taken these steps, we can now turn our attention to main work.
Principle of the therapy
The auricle is a platform for the diagnosis and treatment of different conditions. It experimentally found that whenever there is a pathological change in any part of the body, the reflex of the same appears on the auricle. If this reflex is treated with acupuncture, the pathological change starts healing. It is therefore very important to find this reflex precisely.
Methods of active point detection
There are mainly two methods of accurate active point detection
- A metallic probe called "Jimmy" is pressed against the part of the auricle until the patient feels the pain that is different from the pain due to excessive pressure. The point is then marked with iodine.
- An electronic instrument called the point detector is used to detect the active point. Both the above methods must be used carefully if good results are to be obtained.
Generally it is observed that the auricle responds much better and faster to some of the body areas than others. Pain in the calf muscle may be cured faster than headache. Internal organs also respond much faster than muscle system. I will now give some examples to highlight this.
Result. The patient felt comfortable after the third treatment. After the fifth treatment, he developed confidence in the therapy. On the tenth day, he was declared cured.
Thus, I have observed that in the following conditions the auricle therapy works much better and faster.
- Abdominal pain due to mild mechanical problem.
- Muscle spasms of acute nature.
- Acute Urinary track infection and pain.
- Feeling of heat in the body or burning sensation in any part of the body due to causes of extrinsic nature, or in case of Chicken pox. 5) Acute Myocardial infarction.( The pain and the disturbance is relieved within three to five minutes)
- Constipation. (Auricular acupuncture improves the effect of channel acupuncture and moxibustion.)
- Swelling of ankle joint in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Retention of urine.
ExplanationAuricle is a small extension of the body which is of immense use, not only for collecting sound waves, but for acupuncture treatment too. Small branches of important nerves innervate the auricle. In TCM, it is said that all the yang channels meet in the auricle. What is the meaning and use of this? We can see that Gall Bladder channel encircles the auricle as if protecting the auricle. Urinary bladder is the mother of gallbladder. Philosophically the GB channel takes care of the mother in the old ages; the age of UB and K channels is sixty-five to seventy-seven years. Naturally the son takes care of the UB and K Channels.It is therefore important to keep the GB channel very healthy in this age.
The diseases of the yang organs heal faster than yin organs by using auricular needling. Yang organs are hollow organs and therefore healing is accessed very fluently from inner and outer side of the organs. On the other hand, Yin organs are solid in nature; therefore, access to healing is slightly difficult. Hence, it takes more time to heal the yin organs. The diseases of the yang organs heal faster by using ear needling, and therefore we can say that there must be ample supply of yang energy in the auricle. This is a probable explanation for "all yang channels meet in the auricle". It is also interesting to note that only yang channels come very close to the auricle. GB, T.W. and S.I.
Age: 44 years